Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Layers and Composition

Discussion: 

When working on this piece, I kept forgetting to change the background layer into a regular layer. So the first times I tried to delete what I highlighted I kept not understanding why I saw white instead of the checkerboard. Once I remembered and got the hang of things the rest was easy. All the items were easy to select, with the exclusion of the sheep. For the other items, all I used was the magic wand, with tolerance of 24 (9 for the phone), but for the sheep I had to play with more tools. I used the magic wand to get most of the background highlighted, I had to be careful because after using the magic wand for a while is started to grab more than i wanted it. That's when I changed to the polygonal lasso. And even after that, I had to deselect a lot along the smaller bits of the sheep to make sure it didn't look too cut up.
Once I had the individual layers, I moved and sized them in the new image. I moved the lager items to the background, kept the medium images in the center and moved the sheep, which was the smaller image to the top. I was going to try and merge my center layers to try and play with composition more, but I couldn't find a way, so instead I move them individually. I suppose I gained a bit more experience that way, but I will still hunt down the way to merge them next time, to make my life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment